Tagged: 

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    David Kull
    Participant

Hello, I have a small product, fairly simple one, that I would like to patent. Can anyone give me some advice about getting a patent lawyer, or if it’s worth getting one at all? I should mention that I have no experience in applying for a patent so I need all the help I can get. Thank you!

Jess Naylor
    Participant

Hi David,

I highly recommend reading “Patent It Yourself” by David Pressman especially as you’re not experienced. It’s thorough and easy to read, and you can easily find it online or even in libraries and book stores.

However, getting a patent is quite expensive no matter how small your invention is. Add that to the costs of having a lawyer and the price skyrockets, since you are charged every time you talk to him/her.

If you do decide to get a patent lawyer I still encourage you to read that book, as it will help you make better use of your time with the lawyer and you will understand the whole process much better.

Dana
    Participant

Hi Jess, I’m working on a small invention that involves creating a physical object, but I have no experience in writing patents, nor do I have enough knowledge of mechanical engineering to do it.

I was thinking of getting a patent attorney but I’m not sure if they could give me advice on how to actually build my project, and I don’t know anyone who could help me do it so I would eventually have to hire a mechanical engineer too. This is something I’d really like to avoid because I don’t want my idea to be stolen.

Do you have any experience in dealing with something like this? Could you give me some advice?

Thanks!

Joe Steem
    Participant

You can always find a Patent Attorney or Patent Agent in your area using our Patent Attorney Directory or just use Google.

Jess Naylor
    Participant

If you want to cut costs but still feel like you need a patent attorney, you can try to find one with an undergrad degree in mechanical engineering.

I do know some people who have had the same issue and they found a lawyer with mechanical engineering knowledge.

The chances might be slim, but at least it’s something you could try.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2024 Inventnet.com. All Rights Reserved

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account