- Patent Searching- McKinney Engineering Library
- Guide to Patent Searching - information about patent searching and link to additional tutorials.
- Patent Search Tutorial - Penn State University
- Patents and Patentability - University of Minnesota-Twin Cities
- Patent Searching - University of Minnesota-Twin Cities
- U.S. Patent Statistics Guide - McKinney Engineering Library
- Brainstorm keywords related to the purpose, use and composition of the invention.
- Look up the words in the Index to the U.S. Patent Classification to find potential class/subclasses.
- Verify the relevancy of the class/subclasses by using the Classification Schedule in the Manual of Classification .
- Read the Classification Definitions to verify the scope of the subclasses and note "see also" references.
5. Search the Issued Patents and the Published Applications databases by "Current US Classification" and access full-text patents and published applications.
Review and References
- Review the claims, specifications and drawings of documents retrieved for relevancy.
- Check all references and note the "U.S. Cl." and "Field of Search" areas for additional class/subclasses to search.
The USPTO has a lot of information regarding patent searching including a video tutorial.
You can search, view or print patents online at: