Tagged: 

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Connor
    Participant

Hello everyone,

I have an idea that I don’t know how to deal with. I think that if it went into production, this invention would be in everyone’s home. However, I have no experience in the field in which this product would be applicable.

The main point is that I don’t know where to start, how to make a prototype, who to talk to about any of these things. Plus I’m not able to fund the development and marketing myself.

The only thing I know is that there is nothing like it on the market, which surprises me and puts me off a bit as it seems to be a very simple idea, so why hasn’t anyone come up with it before?

All advice is welcome. Thank you!

Deborah
    Participant

Hi,

I would worry less, at this stage, of whether or not you have the money to develop it or market it. Instead focus your energy on getting to understand the sector it’s in. The more you understand about the market, the more you will be able to understand your inventions’ role in it.

Not having any clue as to what it is makes things difficult! Is it a gadget, an appliance of some sort? Is there a computerised or electronic element to it? You talk about building a prototype. Is it something that can be 3D printed, as a cheap prototyping start?

Why has no one come up with the idea before? Is it genuinely needed/wanted. Was prototyping too expensive before, is it more feasible now with 3D print option.

Sorry, it’s difficult for me trying to come up with ideas or advice without actually knowing what your idea is. Bit tricky to even know if you’re running in the right direction.

Why don’t you start by putting it all down in writing. Develop a brief summary of it. Just for you initially. Don’t think too far ahead. Start developing a document and get your creative ducks in a row. Once you’ve created that you may be inspired to take another action that will lead you to more answers.

Good luck!

David Kull
    Participant

You need to provide some basic details about your product, otherwise it’s impossible to offer direction.
    What is the main material: metal, plastic, wood?
    Is it analog, electrical, digital, computerised?

Connor
    Participant

Thank you everyone for your feedback.

The product would be a small electrical piece, probably made of metal and plastic, and most probably not computerised. I don’t know if it could be 3D printed, since it’s electrical.

As for the sector, it would be an addition to a lot of home and office objects so it’s definitely one of the fastest growing industries out there.

My main issue right now is that I can’t help thinking why this hasn’t been invented already, which makes me wonder if it can be at all.

Theresa
    Participant

My thoughts are:
    1. If there is a genuine need for this in the home, then what is fulfilling the need now? How is it being done? Is someone really going to be willing to pay to have this role or function fulfilled. Maybe it’s time to do some market research. Reach out to a load of your facebook friends and ask them if they’ve ever needed xyz – or how do they do xyz.
    2. You might want to approach some product designers for a bit of high level advice. I’m sure they’ll give you 15 minutes of their time for free to help you understand the process you need to go through and the costs associated with getting a product to market.
    3. Figure out how much of it you can do yourself and look to your close friends and family to see if they have the money to help fund it in return for equity in your new business.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2024 Inventnet.com. All Rights Reserved

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account