Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Julian
    Participant

The most standard text describes the inventing process as ‘solving a problem’ but what about products that have mass appeal but don’t really solve a problem? – They become ‘wants’ instead of needs. For example, a game or novelty item doesn’t really solve a problem but sometimes are big sellers. Do most inventors go around specifically looking for problems to solve?

Veronica
    Participant

Julian, Yes most inventors look for a problem to solve, but your right in that most needs are already met and many new mass market inventions address a want rather than a need. Louis Foreman points this out in many of his public speeches geared toward inventors so maybe he can chime in and better speak to this. Thanks for bringing this up as I know many inventors are fixated on definable problems.

Maia
    Participant

Interesting thought, Julian! I would say those inventions that do not solve a problem may become like a fad product. They will “buzz” for a while and then die out.

If a problem is solved then they will grip more and stick around longer?

If they solve a BIG problem they may stick around for a very long time and become legendary? So maybe try to find a problem solver as first choice?

Just thought of this concept. Makes sense to me I think.

Theresa
    Participant

Yes, I believe there are plenty of eager people out there that want to buy things that don’t “solve” problems. Like the 8 Ball and Twister… Silly Putty, Superballs, Slinky, Pacman, Pez dispensers, Bazooka Joe bubble gum …

Why I’m developing one right now… based on adopting an old product popular 70 years ago and adding a completely new ‘twist’ to it!

…and it’s gonna be a fun one!!!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2024 Inventnet.com. All Rights Reserved

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account